Monday, August 15, 2011

Remaking Trader Joe's Spicy Lentil Wrap with Spicy Tahini Sauce

Last week, I found myself alone and in need of dinner. I'd dropped people at their appropriate evening events and had not fed myself. Needing to do a bit of a shop at TJ's store, I decided that I could easily find a meal there. I settled in on their Spicy Lentil Wrap with Spicy Tahini Sauce. Sheer joy! What a treat. And of course, I ate it all before I got a photo of it. But it was SOOOOOOOO good that I came home and looked for a remake on the web. None to be found, but being no stranger to sciencefood, I set out to conquer this one.

I started by remaking the lentil/bulgur mix that TJs stuffed the wrap with. Since the cooking times were similar for the bulgur and the red lentils, I cooked them together.

In a small saucepan, add:
1/2 c. red lentils
1/2 c. bulgur wheat
2 c. water
1 T dehydrated onion

Bring to a boil and then drop to a simmer for 20 min. Remove from heat and stir. I found at this point that the mix was quite thick. I added some water back in since I thought it would set up when cool (and it did). I added salt and pepper to taste and then 1 t. of cumin and 1/4t. ground red pepper.. Next time I'll also add garlic.

After the mixture had cooled, I put together the wraps using TJs Whole Wheat Lavash Bread. I put a cup of lentil mixture per wrap, spread evenly to roll on the long side... I didn't want a shortstocky wrap. Then I added shredded romaine since I was out of cabbage, a ribbon of Sriracha red chili sauce for the spice, and rolled it up.

Tahini sauce: I mixed 2 T of tahini with enough water to make it a nice dipping sauce consistency. Added salt/pepper/red pepper and dipped my wrap in it! Voila! A very tasty wrap that quite strongly resembled the one I'd fallen for a day earlier.

NEXT time, I'm going to add more lentils and less bulgur just to see what it's like. Thought I might use shredded carrot if I was out of cabbage again. Sriracha is quite spicy so some other pepper paste might suit MORE palates, but mine and my hubby's were happy.

4 comments:

  1. You read my mind. I only have green lentils in the cupboard... MUST. GO. SHOPPING. Thanks for doing the hard work! I can't wait to make this! -Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it helps! I need to make this for lunch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that sandwich for lunch from TJs once a week out in California last year! I made it last night since I live far from TJs now - I did add about a tablespoon of coriander when I added the cumin. Super awesome, thanks!

    ReplyDelete